Spicy Coconut Milk Curry
A great dish to feed a crowd and reheats well.
13.5 oz coconut milk (unsweetened)
32 oz vegetable broth
1 cup finely chopped onions
3 green serrano peppers
1.5 lbs baby eggplants (about 3)
3 cups cooked dark red kidney beans
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup spinach leaves
1 tablespoon oil (canola or vegetable)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons Nal’s Kitchen Ginger Spread
– Chop onion into thin vertical slices and then horizontally cut them in half.
– Discard stalks of serrano peppers and cut into half vertically. This makes them visible should you want to remove while eating.
– Discard stock and chop baby eggplant into 1-inch pieces and red bell peppers into 1/2 inch pieces.
– If using canned red beans, drain and rinse in a colander under running water.
– Heat (cook on med heat) 1 tablespoon of oil in a 4-quart saucepan. Add chopped onions and serrano peppers to oil. Sauté for a couple of minutes until onions turn translucent.
– Add coconut milk and vegetable broth to the saucepan and heat until hot but not boiling.
– Add salt and spread. Ensure spread is dissolved in the broth.
– Add kidney beans and cook for 10 – 12 minutes.
– Add eggplant pieces and cook for 15 – 20 more minutes. Stir periodically. As eggplant cooks the pieces will stop bouncing to the top.
– Add chopped bell peppers and spinach. Shut off heat and cover saucepan. Let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.
– Serve with rice or bread
To reduce spiciness, remove and discard seeds of the serrano peppers.